Philz mint mojito coffee is its signature iced coffee drink, consisting of a refreshing mixture of freshly brewed iced coffee, fresh mint leaves, mixed with some cream and sugar to make a refreshing coffee combination.
✅ Why This Recipe Works
Easy to make – No hours of prepping or complicated techniques needed. All you need is some mint leaves, milk, and coffee!
Flavorful and well-balanced – Pairing the mint flavor with delicious almond milk creates a delicious and refreshing coffee drink.
Low in calories – Similar to my healthy pumpkin spice latte and ube latte recipe, this traditionally decadent recipe was specially developed to be healthier and lower in calories so that you can enjoy this while staying on track with your fitness goals
💭 What is Philz Mint Mojito Coffee?
Philz Mint Mojito is a popular beverage served at Philz Coffee, a San Francisco-based coffeehouse chain. It is a refreshing and flavorful iced coffee drink made with fresh mint leaves, coffee, cream, and sweetened with sugar.
The drink is prepared by blending fresh mint leaves with coffee, sugar, and cream, and serving it over ice. The drink has become a fan favorite and is highly recommended for those who enjoy a sweet and minty coffee flavor.
🍎 Calories and Nutrition Facts – Is It Healthy?
While this creative coffee drink is super delicious, is Philz mint mojito healthy?
Philz Mint Mojito can be a very unhealthy drink given that a serving of the drink made the house way consists of 330 calories, with 27 grams of fat and 22 grams of carbs, making it less than ideal for purposes of staying fit.
Thankfully, you can make or order a healthier version with just a couple tweaks, making a drink at only 10 calories. Here's what I did to achieve this:
- Substitute heavy cream for almond milk – Out of all the milk and milk substitutes, almond milk is the lowest in calories. You can look at this chart with nutrition information for various milk types for more details.
- Portion sweetener – Portioned 1 teaspoon of sugar for sweetener, which only adds 15 calories. If you are ordering at the cafe, you can just ask for light sugar
For a detailed breakdown of each ingredient, their portioning, and how they make up the nutrition profile of this lower-calorie mint mojito recipe, you may refer to the table below:
📋 Ingredient Notes
- Coffee – Philz uses the Tesora blend, which is a medium roast, and pours it over ice. You can use your favorite blend of choice. Cold brew works well here too.
- Brown Sugar – Granulated white sugar also works
- Almond Milk – I recommend using almond milk given it's the lowest calorie milk alternative. If you have allergy issues, refer to the table to find a milk substitute that is more suitable.
- Ice (Optional) – If you brewed your own hot coffee, you will need ice to cool down the coffee. if using cold brew, the coffee should already be cold so only add ice if you prefer.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
📖 Substitutions and Variations
Use simple syrup or agave syrup – If you don't have sugar, you can also opt to use a teaspoon of simple syrup or agave syrup.
Coffee options – I used pourover coffee over ice fr this recipe but you can also use espresso, Nespresso, or cold brew.
With other milk – Skim milk, macadamia milk, and soy milk are other great low-calorie options. Check out this article for other low calorie milk options.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
Make the coffee – Start by preparing the coffee that you are using for the drink and set it aside.
Prepare the mint – Muddle the mint leaves in a glass or cocktail shaker. If you don't have a muddler you can also use a wooden spoon or mortar and pestle.
Add the milk and sugar – Add the almond milk and ice and stir together. If you are using a cocktail shaker, put on the cap and shake vigorously. Taste and add more sugar if you'd prefer it to be sweeter.
Serve the coffee – Pour in the coffee into the base, mix thoroughly, and enjoy your delicious homemade iced mint mojito!
Order a healthy version at Philz Coffee – To order this healthier version of the drink at Philz, ask the barista for an iced mint mojito with low sugar and light almond milk. I would even venture to say you can opt for larger sizes if desired given how low in calories almond milk and a small amount of sugar are.
Muddle the mint with the sugar – Use a muddler to muddle the mint with the sugar so the mint flavor is evenly distributed throughout the coffee.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Philz coffee uses their Tesora blend to make the mint mojito, which is a medium roast with notes of caramel, nuts, and butter. If you're making it at home, feel free to use your favorite medium blend of choice. I've also used homemade cold brew using Philz's Philtered Soul blend with great results.
The mint mojito can be a very healthy drink if you choose a lower-fat dairy option and portion the sweetener mindfully.
No, this drink does not have alcohol. But if you want to add a shot of whiskey or Kahlua, let me know how that turns out in the comments below -- I've always been curious myself ☺️.
🍽 Related Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like this recipe, consider a review further down the page. Thank you!
Philz Mint Mojito Copycat Recipe
- Cocktail shaker
- 1 cup Cold brew or Iced coffee
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Brown sugar (White sugar also works)
- ¼ cup Almond milk
- Start by preparing the coffee that you are using for the drink and set it aside.
- Muddle the mint leaves in a glass or cocktail shaker. If you don't have a muddler you can also use a wooden spoon or mortar and pestle.
- Add the almond milk and ice and stir together. If you are using a cocktail shaker, put on the cap and shake vigorously. Taste and add more sugar if you'd prefer it to be sweeter.
- Pour in the coffee into the base, mix thoroughly, and enjoy your delicious homemade iced mint mojito!