Chinese shrimp and eggs is a classic dish combining deliciously silky smooth eggs with succulent shrimp. It’s a super delicious recipe that is both easy to make and healthy too.
✅ Why Make This Recipe
Simple to make – No hours of prep needed. This dish comes together easily within just 15 minutes!
Restaurant quality taste from home – By utilizing the key cooking techniques and fresh ingredients, you can make a restaurant-quality Chinese shrimp and eggs dish from the comfort of home.
Healthy and nutritious – The ingredients for this dish are naturally pretty healthy, mainly consisting of lean proteins such as eggs and shrimp. This makes for a delicious protein-packed recipe that is super flavorful as well.
💭 What is Chinese Shrimp and Eggs?
Chinese Shrimp and Eggs, or Shrimp and Egg Stir fry, is a delightful dish consisting of tender shrimp and beaten eggs, often scrambled together with a medley of aromatics. The dish is typically seasoned with a touch of sesame oil and a hint of garlic for added flavor. The combination of succulent shrimp and fluffy eggs creates a harmonious blend of textures and tastes, making it a favorite among many.
This dish originates from Chinese cuisine and is commonly enjoyed in various settings, from casual family meals to more formal restaurant dining. It's a comforting and flavorful dish that has made it popular both in China and Chinese restaurants worldwide.
🍎Calories and Nutrition – How to Make It Healthy
Chinese shrimp and eggs can be a super well-balanced and flavorful dish. A serving of this recipe is only 442 calories with 33 grams of protein, 18 grams of fat, and 34 grams of carbs.
Most of the calories of this dish come from the shrimp and eggs, which are lean protein sources. The key to making this dish healthy is to portion the seasonings mindfully. Most of the flavor comes from sautéing the aromatics, which have a negligible amount of calories.
Here’s how I portioned it:
- Portion enough protein for the dish – I used 2.5 ounces of shrimp and 3 eggs for an ample amount of protein and a good shrimp-to-egg ratio
- Portioned the seasonings – I only used 1 teaspoon of fish sauce and ½ teaspoon of sesame oil, minimizing the calories coming from the seasonings while still resulting in a great flavor.
For a detailed breakdown of each ingredient, their portioning, and how they make up the nutrition profile of this Chinese shrimp and eggs recipe, you may refer to the table below:
📋 Ingredient Notes
To make the seafood tom yum soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Shrimp – Take off the heads, peel, and devein. Any size shrimp works here.
- Eggs – Scrambled eggs, whisked with seasonings and scrambled to be light and fluffy. Be sure to turn the heat to low and add a bit of water for extra fluffy eggs.
- Scallions – A key aromatic for this dish. We use the white parts to sauté for flavor and the green parts for garnish.
- Shaoxing Wine – Chinese rice wine that adds a depth of flavor and complexity to the dish.
- Sesame Oil – Gives the dish a nutty and aromatic flavor.
- White Pepper (Optional) – A milder version of black pepper, this gives the dish an extra kick of flavor and seasoning. Feel free to omit if you don’t have this spice handy.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
📖 Substitutions and Variations
Add chili crisp – To spice things up a bit, add some chili crisp. My personal favorite is the Lao Gan Ma brand.
Serve with rice – To make this a well-rounded standalone meal, serve this with a side of Jasmine rice.
Add additional vegetables – This would also be delicious with additional vegetables such as peas, carrots, and corn scrambled in.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
Prep the aromatics – Start off by mincing the garlic and white part of the scallions, then sauté in a pan with cooking spray.
Cook the shrimp – Once you smell the aroma of the aromatics, add in the shrimps with the white pepper and Shaoxing wine, and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
Scramble the eggs – Crack eggs and mix with sesame oil and fish sauce. Then turn the heat on low and pour in the egg mixture, stirring continuously until they've reached a silky texture.
Put the dish together – Add in the shrimp and green onions, and top with chili crisp if using. Enjoy your scrambled eggs and shrimp!
💭 Recipe FAQs
Make sure you turn your heat down to low before you start cooking your eggs. Stir the pan thoroughly to ensure each part of the egg is cooked evenly and remove from the pan just right before it begins to solidify (or at your desired texture).
Any size works – I usually use about 2.5oz to 3oz worth of shrimp. You can use this guide on shrimp sizing on how many shrimps to use per size.
For best results, I would recommend cooking the dish right when you’re about to eat it, as it takes less than 15 minutes to put it together. You can store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
💭 Expert Tips
Cook the shrimp and the eggs separately – Shrimp is very easy to overcook. Once you’re done cooking the shrimp, put them in a separate plate or bowl and only combine when the eggs are done cooking.
Whisk your eggs before cooking – This allows for even cooking of the eggs and a uniform texture.
🍽 What To Eat It With
This Chinese shrimp and eggs recipe is a super versatile dish that can be paired with a wide variety of dishes. Here are some of my favorites:
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you REALLY like this recipe, consider a review further down the page. Thank you!
Chinese Shrimp and Eggs
- 2.5 oz Shrimp (Peeled and deveined)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 clove Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Shaoxing Wine
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sesame Oil (Minced)
- ⅛ teaspoon Sprinkle of white pepper
- 1 Scallion (For garnish)
- ½ teaspoon Chili Crisp (Optional)
- 1 serving Jasmine rice
- Prep the aromatics – Start off by mincing the garlic and white part of the scallions, then sauté in a pan with cooking spray.
- Cook the shrimp – Once you smell the aroma of the aromatics, add in the shrimps with the white pepper and Shaoxing wine, and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Scramble the eggs – Crack eggs and mix with sesame oil and fish sauce. Then turn the heat on low and pour in the egg mixture, stirring continuously until they've reached a silky texture.
- Put the dish together – Add in the shrimp and green onions, and top with chili crisp if using. Enjoy your scrambled eggs and shrimp!